A Recipe for Curious Gardeners – from Chrissy Smith
Serves 18 – 24 hungry learners
20 hungry learners, grades 2
1 Foods with Moods book, interactively read
2 engaging Growing Chefs volunteers
Various creatures: baby potatoes, bell peppers
1 UBC Student Teacher, new
3 – 4 body parts: dried macaroni, dried black eyed peas
1 pile of arugula, freshly snipped
A pint of creativity
A sliver of curiosity
A dash of love
- Enter George Cunningham Elementary. Add a UBC Student Teacher. Meet 2 friendly Growing Chefs! volunteers and be welcomed to the school.
- Listen for countless whispers of “There’s another Chef!” and “She’s new”. Greet with a smile and a “Hello!”.
- Have students make observations of the fast-growing gardens. Encourage students to keep following the Garden Rules and watch their plants flourish!
- Assemble freshly snipped spicy arugula onto trays: a product of their hard work! Supplement their tasting with different and unique lettuces.
- Wait for 1 – 2 minutes as their curious eyes assess the variety of leafy greens (and reds, and purples!). Watch as some of their eyebrows raise in delight and some furrow in discontent.
- Read Foods with Moods to the satiated learners. Pay attention to the giggles and their active imaginations churning in their brains.
- Throw in a Vegetable Stretch by watering the young seeds. Watch them grow tall, swaying in the wind.
- Witness the creativity spill out as their personalized vegetable creations come alive.
- Garnish the class with a Thank You! (Note: It is important to mention this as trying something new can be difficult sometimes!)