Local Food For A Week! Can You Do It?
The Growing Chefs! Going Local! Local Food Challenge is back for its fourth year!
We challenge you to eat local food for a week, starting August 18th! Growing Chefs! needs your help to celebrate this year’s bounty of delicious, local food and to raise funds for our Classroom Gardening and Cooking Program.
What do we need the funding for?
The funds raised from the Local Food Challenge will help us provide kids with hands-on gardening and cooking experience, and to get them excited about eating healthy with food made locally. Each year, the demand for the program outweighs our resources. Campaigns like this and your support allows us to be a part of classrooms across B.C. The actual cost of running a Classroom Gardening Program is about $1000 per class for the supplies, training, transportation, and labour.
Here are five ways you can help!
- Sign up today to eat local from August 18th to 24th! We want you define what local means to you. For some people it’s a B.C. diet; for some it’s the 100 Mile Diet; for others, it is a 10 Mile Diet! Create a profile and campaign on our nifty pledge site. Set a fundraising goal for yourself. Ask your friends and family to pledge you!
- Join as a team, business, or family. Share the fundraising and local eating challenge among your group. You can each take a day to eat local and raise money for Growing Chefs!
- Pledge one of our participants.
- Spread the word! Share this challenge on Twitter, Facebook, and via email. Help us recruit 50 participants by August 18th!
- Make a general donation to the campaign and help us meet our goal! (Please note, as a registered non-profit, we are unable to issue CRA tax receipts).
We hope you can join us today to help us meet our goal!