It’s only the third week of 2013, but we are already in the full swing of things at Growing Chefs! We have started preparing for our Classroom Gardening and Cooking Program, Whole Foods’ 5% Community Giving Day, and the BC Home and Garden Show. With so many great things happening, we need a bit of help! We are looking for volunteers to join our Classroom Gardening and Cooking Program and our Community Outreach Committee.
Check out our current volunteer opportunities below:
CLASSROOM GARDENING AND COOKING VOLUNTEERS
Growing Chefs! Chefs for Urban Agriculture, is currently seeking chefs and those with experience growing food to be a part of their 2013 Classroom Gardening and Cooking program. In the Classroom Gardening Program, chef volunteers are paired with elementary school classrooms (grades 1-3) to give students hands-on experience growing and cooking their own food.
The first Growing Chefs class will be the week of April 2nd or April 9th. From then on, volunteers will visit the same classroom every second week until the end of June. Volunteering time totals approximately 4 hours a month (not including travel time or the initial orientation session). The initial orientation session will take place in late February and early March (volunteers only have to attend one session).
How it works
- Volunteer chefs and community members are put into teams of three.
- Volunteers will attend an Orientation Session, where they learn basic classroom management skills and review the Growing Chefs curriculum.
- Volunteers and their teammates are paired with an elementary school classroom.
- Volunteers visit their class every two weeks over the course of three and a half months, for a total of seven visits.
- Volunteers mentor the students and help them grow their own indoor vegetable gardens, they also lead the class through a series of lessons.
- The lessons are clearly laid out and outlined in the Growing Chefs Classroom Guide that volunteers receive at the Orientation Session.
If you are interested in becoming a chef volunteer, please complete the registration form.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH VOLUNTEERS
Growing Chefs! is looking for friendly, outgoing, food-loving people to represent us at markets, festivals, and special events throughout the year.
Community Outreach Volunteers Roles Include:
- Coordinating and leading kids’ games that focus on healthy eating, gardening, and healthy food systems
- Helping educate kids and the community about local and urban agriculture and food sustainability
- Answering questions about the Growing Chefs! Classroom Gardening and Cooking Program
- Promoting our programs and upcoming events
- Researching potential outreach events for Growing Chefs! to participate in
- Setting up and organizing outreach tables and materials
- Taking down contact information for our volunteer program and mailing list
Qualified Candidates should:
- Possess a love for local and urban agriculture
- Posses a passion for gardening, cooking, and healthy food
- Have experience working with children and youth
- Have good communication skills
- Be comfortable speaking to community members and engaging the public
- Have a professional demeanor
We are currently scheduling volunteers for our participation in Whole Foods’ 5% Community Giving Day on February 7th. If you are interested in joining our Community Outreach Volunteer Team, please email us at email@example.com.